Is there any publication on the pros and cons of installing tile on top of tile?
Tiling over existing tile as a substrate can be a terrific solution for a new tile installation. There are several areas that must be considered before proceeding, such as:
- Whether the existing substrate is well bonded and able to support a new installation
- If priming or scarification of the existing tile is needed
- Correct mortar and/or primer selection and proper application
- The ability of the existing structure to support the weight of the new installation
- Adjoining floor elevations
- And other issues
The NTCA Reference Manual and the Tile Council of North America (TCNA) Handbook are excellent sources of information on this topic. Members of the NTCA own these industry-published methods and best practices.
I encourage you to interview and hire an NTCA contractor member for the work you are considering. You can search for one at this link: https://bit.ly/33uFkv3
I also encourage you to interview and hire a Ceramic Tile Education Foundation (CTEF) Certified Tile Installer (CTI). You can search for one at this link: https://bit.ly/3nGcj67